Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another day another antler another hobo

Nothing too exciting today. Except for more hobos and antlers. Must be the state motto or mascot or something. We've got the poppy and the little bird with the thing sticking out of its head in California...not a pidgeon...ah whatever...and in Oregon they have hobos and antlers. Here are the antlers I saw today:

And here is the only hobo that I wasn't afraid to photograph, but trust me there were way more:


I ended my day in the grand tradition of Portland - going to a bar to sing pirate songs. Unfortunately I didn't know any of the words so I just listened. It was fun, they were really good singers. They do it every Wednesday at this pub in SE Portland.

Weird, unique things like that are what I like about cities. Back in Berkeley we've got Thai Brunch at the Buddhist temple, or the Irish folk music at the Starry Plough. It is hard for me to accept just seeing stuff like this once, and then moving on to the next city. I like the idea of holding on to the things I enjoy and the people around me, a sense of permanence to what I do. Maybe traveling like this will help me understand that things are always going to change, and that is something you just have to get used to. Or maybe I will just move to Portland and hang out with the pirates for ever and ever.

Oh yeah here's a picture of a bunch of rugrats and Mt. Hood in the background. It has been just gorgeous here.


And yes I know it is a quail. What is that thing on its head anyway, a piece of flair?

No comments: